Sunday, February 22, 2009

Where have the Family Friendly TV Shows gone?

We have tuned out, Mr. Nielsen. You do not offer anything wholesome to our family. American Idol and Survivor just don't cut it. We want to see programs about "real" children and "real" family situations. We are taking a trip back in time through the wonder of DVDs!
* * * * * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * ** * **
My daughter is almost 10 years old now, and I've come to the conclusion that there is no acceptable prime time TV show that we can share together. The reality shows are mindless. The so-called comedies aren't funny and are laden with sexual innuendos that I just don't want to explain to her.

It didn't use to be this way. I can recall many family shows from my childhood that I would happily share with my daughter today. And, through the miracles of DVD technology, I have been watching some of these moldy oldies with her. Many older DVDs can be borrowed *FREE* from your local library!

Here are some of our favorites:
  • Gilligan's Island
  • The Partridge Family
  • The Brady Bunch
  • Mork & Mindy
  • Grizzly Adams
Other shows that come to mind that we haven't watched yet are: Eight is Enough, Family Affair and Get Smart. Anyone have any more suggestions to add to this list?

Perhaps it was just a slower, more wholesome age, but these were TV shows that could be watched by the entire family. The clothing and hair styles might seem hokey today, but at least I don't have to worry about them containing swearing, violence and nudity.

Besides the entertainment value, my daughter will be able to fill in many future crosswords armed with the knowledge of these ancient TV programs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree.
Also, litte House on the Prairie, Highway to heaven and ChiPs are really good.

TV today is sad, full of smut and swearing and there are no family shows, reflecting family life.
We were lucky with the era we grew up in.